Reliability Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Reliability Discussion Forum > Reliability Discussion Forums > General Reliability Discussion > FMEA/FMECA

Old May 31st, 2011, 10:33 AM

Default FMEA doubt

If (case 1) Sevearity x Occurance x Detection is high, also (case 2) Sevearity x Occurance is high (case 3) Sevearity x Detection is high then for what you will give the first preference and why ? thilag
Old May 31st, 2011, 09:02 PM

Smile Re: FMEA doubt

Hi!

It looks strange to me whenever I come across such questions on FMEA....

Well, my understanding and experience is as follows:
1. The very reason we have S x O x D as a metric and naming it as RPN (Risk Priority Number) - the answer lies in it!!
2. Always, sort in the descending order of RPN and not individually or combinations.
3. In case of any tie between two issues with same RPN, then use S to break the tie. Still the tie is not broken, use Occurence and then Detection number.

Trust this brings in some clarity.

Sasun
Old June 1st, 2011, 08:51 AM

Default Re: FMEA doubt

Dear Mr. Sasun

very heartful thanks for your answer. But i got this question in n interview and i have to explain the reason also (in future if i got the same question means). If anybody would tell the good reason means it will be very helpful for me.

thanks

thilag
Old June 27th, 2016, 07:47 PM

Default Re: FMEA doubt

I know that this reply is coming way late, but maybe it will help someone visiting this forum in the future.

When using Risk Priority Number (RPN) the analyst needs to be very careful, as there are instances when it can be very misleading, and in fact a failure mode with a lower RPN might even warrant greater scrutiny. This link goes to a page that shows should examples where this might be the case and gives some good tips to use when working with RPN values.

http://www.fmea-fmeca.com/fmea-rpn.html